7.07.2008

trickery

The radio was tuned to the local talk station when I started the truck this morning. The first thing I heard was news of the record high gas prices in Lexington. Then I noticed where my little fuel guage needle thingy was resting. I had a moment of silence. At $4.16 this will hurt.

I think it's a trick. Whoever is ending up with all of the money we're spending at the pumps these days is taking us for way too gentle fools.

I remember a few years ago when we all got mad because fuel prices jumped up over two dollars in a matter of days. Everybody was screaming that something had to be done. How long could we afford $3 gasoline? The oil companies or the speculators or the government or the oil sheiks or whoever was at the end of the cash trail all sat for a while, counted and listened. Then the better, more caring human within them arose and brought things down to a reasonable $2.50 or $2.75 a gallon. Never mind that this was still better than a dollar more than we had been paying before the gouge. At least it wasn't $3. So we felt grateful for their kindness and shut up.

Now the same tricksters who hoodwinked us before feel like they can get away with it again. Or maybe this is a copycat crime. They'll let us scream about $4 and $4.50 gallons for a while, then before you know it things'll settle in at a reasonable $3.50 or $3.75 and we'll feel like we're getting a deal.

It's a trick I tell you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have a point there, Kenny! Someone has to be getting rich out there while the rest of go broke just trying to get to work!