7.16.2008

jan-ann

I don't know if everyone has a favorite cousin. I do. Growing up Janice and I were more like brother and sister. I always got excited when I knew we were going to load up and drive over to Winchester for a visit. I knew we'd be riding bikes for hours and making up songs and dancing and just hanging out. We were tight, Janice and me.

Like it usually does, adulthood and its responsibilities took the two of us in different directions. I hate that we don't get to sing and play like we did in our kid years. We had so much fun then. It's sort of a shame that we've allowed those times to be so yesterday. When we talk now we always say we're gonna have to get together and do something.

Janice has been an inspiration to me. She's looked too many difficult circumstances in the eye and refused to blink. I know a few who are more timid who would've accepted the hard stuff as part of life and given up. Not her. She has decided to take advantage of the day and begin all over again - and be excited about it. I want to be like her.

I call her Jan Ann. She and I were born the same year. Today is her birthday. She really deserves the best in all of her, uh hum, 32 years.

No comments: