7.19.2008

renee

I tell everyone that I asked Renee to marry me and she turned me down. I don't blame her. I'm close to two decades older than she is and I think she's worried people would talk. I told her they talk anyway, but she's still too young to know that.

Even though she wouldn't marry me, I still love my Renee. After she turned me down she said yes to John. I think it's because he's younger and stronger and better looking and other stuff. He's a super good guy though, so if I couldn't have her I'm glad he got her. They both did well.

Renee is one of my BFFs. We trust each other. We talk to each other. We believe each other. Even before we really knew each other well we knew we liked each other. When I was working 16 and 18 hour days for a political campaign and didn't have the time or health to drive the two hours it took to get home and back, she let me move into her apartment. She was assigned to work somewhere else and didn't need it right away, so she just gave me the key. She rescued me, literally.

Political campaign work is often likened to trench warfare. You get close to your trench buddies. These are the people you trust with your life. If any one person lets down their guard, all of you can lose. Renee and I have shared some trenches. I've trusted her to watch my back and she's never, ever let me down. That's just one of the reasons she means so much to me.

She's celebrating another year of life today and I'm not close enough to hug her neck. I hate that. I hope she can have a perfect party without me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just read this good buddy! I love you too! Glad we can be friends despite me telling you we couldn't wed.