7.03.2008

big sky box

My truck doesn't have a CD player. I'm not completely without a little technology though. When the weather is nice I plug the headphones into the iPod and enjoy the windows-down ride like an astronaut on a Ferris wheel.

On the way into the office this morning I was listening to the Isaacs' Big Sky record. Gosh! It's good. You know, sometimes you just hear something brand new for the tenth time. I've listened to this thing over and over, and every time it's chill on chill for me. Every piece hits something on my insides.

My favorite changes with my moods, but today it was "Love Is A Cross You Bear" that drew me in and really touched me. What a story! What an example of love that often hurts but eventually gives back. The lyrics are powerful and the instruments, arrangement and singing were just as inspiring. I don't know if Ben ever sounded better.

I've read some criticisms about the Isaacs and this project in particular. I love this family. They are all dear friends. Years ago when our family was first starting to travel and sing so were they. Their house was our Ohio home (they lived there then). And ours was their home in Kentucky. We spent lots and lots of weekends traveling and growing up together. They're like family, although these days from a distance.

About the criticisms, one of the things I've heard is that this record is not blatant enough. Some say it needs to be more "gospel" oriented. Personally, I think the broad message on this particular piece is part of its beauty and strength. When you listen, it's tough not to feel something in your heart for sure, but just as much in your mind. If the complaint is that a few folks can't see God in this record it might be because He's outside the box and they're not.

1 comment:

Lora said...

You're right about people trying to put others into their own boxes. Craziness! I'm not familiar with this CD you're talking about but may have to go buy it based on your recommendation.

I get so ding-danged annoyed when people criticize others because they believe there is only one true way to represent or worship God. Bah!

There are many voices out there representing our Lord with the same message. What may minister to one may not minister to another; hence, the different voices and different styles of delivery. This goes for preaching the message as well as singing it.

These that try to catagorize and criticize might wanna step back and let God handle any personnel problems that may exist...if any do. More than likely if they do, He just might start with the naysayers. :)