5.11.2008

mom & miss dottie

Most everyone I know loves their mother. I do. A lot of folks have heard me talk about her strength and love and faith and patience and will. She probably has no idea how much she's taught me about dealing properly with life's sudden moments. I've heard it said that a person's character is most honestly revealed in the most intense times of trial and disappointment. Shirley Bishop has proven over and over and over again that she is a lady of remarkable integrity and stamina. I hope it followed the gene pool.

The weather has been gloomy in central Kentucky today. The rain has been constant and the mood has been low. Except for spending most of the morning and part of the afternoon with Mom and Dad, I've felt sad today. The weather is only partly responsible. Like a lot of others, I got the call early this morning that one of my life's heroes was unexpectedly taken home. When I wasn't distracted with enjoyable conversation with my parents my mind was consumed by the loss of my friend Dottie Rambo.

I became an admirer when I was very young. Watching the Singing Rambos on television and sitting for hours listening to those Heartwarming Records with the rich, flip-flopping harmonies of the dad, mom and daughter trio are beautiful memories for me. Granny Bishop especially enjoyed their songs. Dottie wrote nearly all of them. Early on her hair was piled high on her head. She smiled when she sang. I often smiled back without even meaning to. Sometimes she spoke her lyrics to emphasize the message more than than the melody. Dottie might be offended when I use the word magic to recall her ability to communicate, but that is a more than accurate way to describe the way she penetrated my senses. When someone asks if I prefer writing or singing, I usually tell them that I believe songs live longer than singers. Dottie has proven this now hundreds and hundreds of times over.

When I was a youngster I had no idea Dottie was a Kentucky girl. It wouldn't have mattered anyway. My sense of pride in my home state has developed with my knowledge of it. Now that I know, and now that it matters, I can't think of anyone else who writes, sings, performs or serves that I'd be any more proud to share my state's heritage with. Along with a million others I'll miss her. But only for a while.

No comments: