5.24.2008

"doc"

I don't remember why I started calling my friend David by the name Doc. As a matter of fact, I think I'm the only person in the world who calls him that. He's a school teacher and an administrator and a caterer and a pianist and a pageant trainer and a show promoter and more. He does a lot. As a matter of fact, he's one of those people who makes the nearly impossible happen anyway. I used to tell him, if he'd been around when Jesus was born he would've gotten them into a suite. But none of the things he does requires him to be a Doc. At least not right now.

I've heard it said that you know a person is a prophet if their prophecies actually come true. I certainly don't claim to be one, but an unintentional word about the future is on its way to becoming a reality. For several summers now my friend has been living in Boston, going to school, on his way to earning his PhD. He's nearly finished now and when he is I will be a prophet. More importantly, he will be a doctor.

Other than my kids, I don't know of anyone I am more proud of. When he had opportunities in the past to move on to bigger, better and more lucrative things, Doc decided to stay close to his family and friends who needed him. He put his dreams on hold to serve others. When he senses I'm down he calls. On special days we always chat. He's been that way since I've known him.

The first time I met David, our family was singing in Baxley, Georgia. We pulled up to the church and this bouncy and extravagant guy met us at the door and welcomed us in like we were family who'd been gone too long. We hit it off right then, and Doc has been as good a friend as anyone could ever, ever ask for since.

Today is his birthday, and I miss him. He's several hours away and we don't get to see each other as often as we'd like. I think I'll call him now.

Happy birthday Doc!!

No comments: