5.26.2008

flags...

When I was a kid, growing up in central Kentucky, the only flag I ever saw waving over our simple, middle-class neighborhood was the one in front of the Congleton's house down the street. Mr. Congleton was a veteran, and he treated those Stars and Stripes and the tall pole that displayed them like they were two of his children. Of course in 1976 it seemed everyone had red, white and blue fever. That bicentennial year was a wonderful, patriotic time I thought.

I don't remember, then, seeing all of the garden flags that you see on houses around the neighborhood these days. Get online or go to pretty much any local store and you can find a nice 3'x5' flag or a smaller garden banner that'll tell all of your neighbors and passersby what your hobbies are, your favorite animal or bug, where the party is or any variety of neat things about you and your family. I don't remember seeing them around our neighborhood when I was a kid though.

Today is a good flag day. I am proud on days like this one to get Old Glory out of storage and hang her out in the breeze. As a matter of fact, I have two of them - one in the front of my house and a smaller one at the back patio entrance since that's where most of my family and friends and guests come in when they visit.

I'm a proud American. You can be a Democrat OR a Republican and be very patriotic. You can even be registered as neither of the above and still have a tremendous love for your country. Even those who never cast a vote can be proud Americans, although I think they'd feel much more invested if they spoke up on election day. But the mold that determines a person's dedication to their country is really pretty loose.

Your skin doesn't have to be a certain color to feel the specialness of these United States. In my opinion the Pledge of Allegiance is even more emotional and meaningful among all of this country's regional and even foreign accents. I've learned that life experience and being in tune globally usually makes you more aware of your own fortune, but you can be any age and still recognize the specialness of living in this very proseprous land.

I don't question a person's patriotism. Just like their faith, they may express it differently than I do. Their traditions and mine may not be anything alike. And although I know plenty of well-meaning, dedicated Christians who feel you can only be a real American patriot if you're a King James only, southern gospel loving, fundamentalist conservative, I know quite a few loyal lovers of this land who could prove them wrong.

And that is why we remember those who fought and gave. Have a thoughtful Memorial Day.

No comments: