6.05.2008

parkin' and bikin'

My friend Joel Lindsey (see the link to the right) has been enjoying life in California. On his blog/journal he tells us about the sun, the sand, the ocean, the palms, the mountains and the tucked away towns he gets to pass through on his journeys. It really sounds a lot like Kentucky to me, minus the sand and the ocean and the palms. OK, so Joel gets to play everyday in places that I only get to visit. I'm not gonna say no fair 'cause I know how hard he's worked to be where he is. Of course, it's not like he's retired or anything. He's writing and doing business as hard as ever, just in sunny southern California.

Today he wrote about the crazy cost of gas out there. It looks like he's paying about a half a dollar more for a gallon that I am. He also mentioned parking his car and straddling the bike more. That's what I've been doing. I work too far from home to ride my bike, so the truck takes me to the office and back. But when I get home and throw the keys on the counter I don't pick 'em up until the sun has had a chance to set and dawn again. My trips to the market and the post office and most everywhere else are made on the bicycle. I even bike to the park where I do my nightly walk.

I like Joel. He's fun AND classy. He's a remarkable song writer and a dynamic encourager. He's also smart. He's parking the car.

P.S. Scroll on down for my solution to the butt-ugly gas problem.

P.P.S. If someone wants to donate a motorcycle I can park the truck for good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Me too!!!