6.22.2008

the longest day

Yesterday was the longest day of the year. I'm glad I got to spend it with my son. We didn't do anything super spectacular. We did go to a movie and we did have too much popcorn. You need to see Get Smart. We both loved it. Movie or not though, I spent another special day with Christian. I'm satisfied.

They tell me the summer solstice used to be a big deal. It's the time when the sun is the highest in the sky, thus the longer(est) day. It's also the official start of summer - depending on who you ask. In some, actually most cultures, the longest day is considered mid-summer. Of course here in the U.S. by the time "Summer day 1" arrives, we've already been wearing white shoes for about a month and a half thanks to Memorial Day.

In about six months the folks down in the southern hemisphere will be enjoying their longest day. Wonder what they'll do with it.

No comments: