6.10.2008

my kingdom for a tomato!

I love Mexican food. I'm all about the enchiladas and the tacos and the tamales and the rice and the beans. But as far as I'm concerned, the best part of the fiesta is the salsa. The way they lay that pretty basket of chips and that little dish of tomatoey goodness on the table - you'd think it was free. I've often wondered if I'd get a Spanish ear full if I didn't order anything and just ate the appetizer.

Most days I don't have time to enjoy a nice Mexican lunch. My middle-of-the-day is pretty busy, but from time to time I do have a chance to speed by my favorite Mexican-on-the-run place for the bagged version. Qdoba makes a big ol' burrito that you can get two days out of if you treat it right. It's not a bad investment if you're on a tight budget. Seven bucks for two days - not bad.

Today though we had issues. You're probably aware of the current problems America is having with tomatoes. Word is a few folks have taken ill after eating one, or at least a bite or two of one. This has prompted the folks in Washington to ban them. For our own good we're being protected from tomatoes. I'm sure the poor people who exposed the problem would've appreciated the concern a few weeks ago, and I certainly don't think of them without whispering a prayer. I'm thinking though that the move is as politically motivated as it is authentic concern.

I've got a good idea we were just couple of tomato victims away from a Bush administration critic accusing the White House of just not caring about the plight of everyday fruit and vegetable eaters. It wouldn't surprise me still to hear an angry Democrat on Fox or CNN claiming to have proof of a conspiracy. So, what else could they do but ban tomatoes. It probably saved a few businesses from lawsuits too.

Personally, I'm a tomato junkie. When I was a kid I used trot off to the garden and eat 'em right off the vine. Sometimes they'd be really warm from the summer sun when I'd pick one, wipe it with my t-shirt if I was wearing one and bite into it like an apple. Other kids flagged down the ice cream truck.

You can put a tomato on just about anything and make it better, but some things just aren't right without them. That would be salsa, and today there was none.

What I wouldn't give right now for a plump, juicy, bright red tomato.

No comments: