6.23.2008

please, let him be dead.

Before I say anything, please know that this journal entry is not about the deceased as much as it's about the people who won't let him die.

At the risk of sounding cold and insensitive (reread what I said at the very beginning), does Tim Russert deserve the canonization we've bestowed upon his mostly ordinary life? Other than being very unexpected, why is his death and all of the follow-up such big, big news?

As much as I admired his political savvy and appreciated the way he honored his dad, I don't remember Tim doing anything more than informing me of the positions politicians took. He didn't set policies or do anything that directly affected me that I'm aware of. Is it even appropriate to treat his life's work this way?

I think he'd be embarrassed to know that his passing has taken attention away from floods in the Midwest, fires in the west, war in the Middle East and famine coupled with atrocities in Darfur, not to mention the presidential race he wanted us to know so much about. He was a better man than that.

No comments: