2.12.2008

big abe doins

This is a big year for Abraham Lincoln. Actually, the next two will be a big deal, at least here in KY and the other states that claim him or at least a part of him. I don't know how many of the states plus territories attach themselves to some part of the Lincoln lore, but one of the things we know for sure is it all started right here in the Bluegrass state. The next two years will be a massive celebration with dignitaries, former presidents, celebrities and common folks as we mark our sixteenth president's two-hundredth birthday.

I think it would be cool if all of the former presidents had a holiday. I'd say some of them, if not most of them, don't deserve one. But knowing the political process the way I do, it was no small fete getting elected. That deserves some sort of special moment of pause. Besides, I'm sure America's retailers could find some way to use it for their own benefit.

But even if none of the others enjoyed the distinct honor of a day set aside to remember the from whences, Mr. Lincoln has earned the distinction. He's not our only national leader of valour, but the very, very, very difficult and deeply contra-personal decisions he had to make as head of a house divided deserve to be revered. I wouldn't want to be him, and for the life of me I can't figure out why he'd want to be who he was where he was when he was. Some people just see moments like that as their calling - their duty. Maybe that's what motivated him.

You have to wonder if he ever longed for the day when he'd retire from public service, leave the constant tumult of Washington, DC for a quieter, more peaceful life. If he did, I'll bet he was very pleasantly surprised.

No comments: