9.05.2008

rnc 3

I'll be honest. I didn't watch much of the Republican's convention last night. I did see Senator McCain's acceptance speech, but as much as I tried to tune in early and follow along with the others, I got bored. Maybe it was two back-to-back weeks of convention coverage that finally filled my political tank.

I like John McCain. I like his no nonsense approach that looks the political establishment in the eye and doesn't blink. Of course, that got him beat when he ran against George W. Bush back about eight and a half years ago. But evidently now we see it as an admirable attribute. Maybe folks are starting to realize that someone who appeals to both political senses makes political sense. But I have friends who feel the same way about Barack Obama.

Senator McCain will tell you that he's not a speech giver as much as he's a town-hall mixer. A lot of people were talking about his need to live up to the RNC speeches of the night before, especially the one given by his new running mate. But at this point, if he did anything remarkably different the people who supported him before would wonder where he'd been or if they voted for someone they didn't recognize. And it's not always about scoring. There's an old saying in politics, although it's most generally true when you're comfortably up in the polls, "Sometimes success is just holding your ground." I think he did exactly what he needed to do to fire up his peeps. He stuck to his message 'til the big balloons hit the ground.

Here we goooo.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great read! Thanks for posting.........