9.30.2008

the boy can sing

People are always asking me if my kids can sing. Granny Bishop was a good singer. Both Mom and Dad are good singers. Debra, the kid's mom is a good singer. I don't see how Casie and Christian could be anything but good singers - and they are.

Casie was once one of the Gaither Homecoming kids. She starred in a video where she showed her acting, singing and dancing skills; and all of it under tremendous stress and a grueling shoot schedule. It was tough work, but she performed like a talented pretty little trooper.

Christian is a musician and a singer. His drumming skills are awesome (keen timing) and he knows how to present and hold the right note with his voice. Last night he performed with his high school choir and then stepped out to do a full solo. He sang an old Bishops song. I was sooooooooo proud. I met Mom and Dad at the school and we got in the building early enough to get good seats toward the front and in the middle.

I followed along in the little bulletin and got more and more nervous as the big number got closer and closer. When it was finally his turn I grabbed the camera and hoped I was recording something more than his feet. I wasn't about to watch my boy through a lens. The music started, and all of the sudden it was me and Christian. I think everyone else left the room. At least it seemed like it. When it was over I noticed Mom was crying - or had been.

So it wasn't Carnegie Hall. For a moment there though, the Estill County High School auditorium was the most prestigious concert hall in all the world. Christian Bishop delivered a masterpiece and made it that way.

No comments: