9.04.2008

rnc 2

I had friends at the Democratic National Convention who called and sent me text messages while they political partied in Denver. It was neat getting their perspective from the actual dance floor. I have friends doing the same thing from Minneapolis this week. They're keeping me in the loop on the goings on with the Republicans there. Both said it was electric and exciting and almost spiritual to be in such a place with so many like minded people. I'd expect it to be. It's like corporate worship or mybe more like a mob. It's hard not to feel something.

I ran into a neighbor yesterday afternoon. She and I were talking about this out-of-the-blue governor from way, way out west who magically appeared as John McCain's VP choice. Neither of us knew enough about her to talk intelligently. My initial reaction of course was hoping that she wasn't picked JUST because she is a she. For her to be viable, there needs to be something substantial to her. She'd have a chance to state her case in a major way on the big stage, but sharing the microphone with some of the most clever political talkers in the world would give her even more to live up to.

I remember once standing backstage in a big auditorium waiting for our singing group to be introduced. What happens just before the announcer calls your name is very important. That person sets the stage and the mood and determines whether your first two or three songs are gonna be heard or wasted. This particular night was a booger. The emcee left a lot of the work to us. Just before he brought us to the stage he told this terribly sad story about something I can't even remember now. I do remember though having to dig our way out of a very depressing hole for the first song or two or three. On the opposite side though is when the person on the stage just before you steals the show and runs off with it.

Rudy Giuliani is one of my political heroes. He knows how to inspire even his enemies. If I thought I had to follow him on the stage I'd be having nightmares. How in the world would you do it? Rudy notwithstanding, I think the speech delivered by the brand-new-to-everyone-but-Alaska candidate for vice president was a home run. She introduced us to her family and her upbringing and her experience. She did the job of the lower ticket candidate by going after the opposition. Joe Biden is going to have to do the same eventually. That's part of the job description. It allows the guys at the top of the ticket to "stay above the fray" and appear more honorable. Part of Senator Biden's problem though is how to hit a woman without looking like a bully (or a sissy).

So, even though the person in charge of her official nomination didn't even know her name, Governor Palin took her only chance at a first impression and ran with it. (The night of her speech, I was on edge up to the moment the announcer pronounced it right. "Ladies and Gentleman, the Governor of Alaska... Sarah Palin.") Mayor Giuliani did his usual thing. So did Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney. Then it was left to the people who take over the TV after the speech to tell us what they really said.

No comments: