3.02.2009

my mother's day

Mom probably won't do much celebrating today. Not because she's unhappy or angry, but just because she doesn't usually make much of a deal out of her birthday. Never has that I recall.

She may think it much-ado-about-nothing, but March 2, 19?? (I don't pick unnecessary fights) is a most special day in my life. If that day wasn't she wouldn't be and neither would I. Neither would Theodor Seuss Geisel, and then there'd be no Grinch or Mount Crumpit or Whoville or Whos!! Then Jim Carrey would be stuck in a career with only mediocre movies on his resume'. Thank God for March 2nd!

Shirley Bishop has been a much better mother than Kenny Bishop has been her son. We talk a lot. The phone is our friend. I wish she did email or at least tried texting, but Mom is simple and she enjoys an uncluttered life. If I were to call her right now she'd probably be making coffee for Dad or washing sheets or watching one of my nieces or nephews. Her family gets her up every morning. She lives for us, and plans her stuff around ours.

When me and the bros are fighting, she plays like Woodrow Wilson and stays out of it. Unlike the old POTUS, she really stays out of it - no matter what. She sympathizes, but takes no position.

Call her names, throw rocks in her direction, dig up her tomatoes or refuse her cooking and she'll likely tolerate it. Mess with one of her kids or grandkids and you've picked a fight with someone who can both catch you and beat you up.

Mom is a beautiful Christian woman inside and out. She likes to laugh, knows she's stubborn and reminds me of my mamaw, who was one of the most entertaining women I ever knew, including Carol Burnett. She's not rich, but Mom is most generous. She holds no degree, but I hear lots of wisdom when she speaks. One thing she is though is a super-fantastic-wonderlicious wizard of the kitchen. I wonder if she made a birthday cake?

No comments: