3.24.2009

for real

I'm perfect. Except for the unhealthy habits, I'm perfect. Well, there is the mood thing and my tendency to watch too much TV. But other than that, I'm perfect. Oh, and I've told a little white lie or two, and didn't return the too-much-change the cashier gave me. But for the sake of credibility I'm still perfect. I have yet to pay my pledge to Jerry's kids. If you don't count my oft spiritual laziness or that I've been known to wear a pair of socks for two, maybe three days; ignoring the sudden words when I stumped my toe, and disregarding the three minutes I parked in the handicapped spot, forgetting about the despicable thoughts I enjoyed when I saw THAT person and the delicious ones when that one strolled by... If you'll turn your head please, I'd like to "share" with someone. Still, it's important for you to know that I'm perfect.

Several weeks ago I was singing in Arkansas. Not to be a rebel or anything, I usually don't do the coat and tie thing when I perform these days - unless the occasion calls for it of course. This was an occasion. Black suit (slimming) with a white shirt, black belt, shoes, socks and tie. I spent lots of time and worked very hard to put on my performing perfection, and I looked dapper, not so much as piece of lint. No one would've known there was a flaw had I not confessed. It was well hidden, and could've been a secret for my grave, except I admitted it.

For a lot of years, when I depended on the crowds to feed me and my family, I chose my admissions. People don't buy tickets to funerals, interventions, confessions or pity parties. Besides, this was good news music we were putting out there; happy, sin-stopping stuff. If we're singing the Gospel we have to display it properly. We have to put it on and wear it like a model on a runway - perfect body, perfect fit, perfect walk. Who would believe us if we didn't look the perfect part? Our public won't allow us to sell the solution to sin if they think we're vulnerable to it. We're not qualified to point the way to a good and holy life if we don't at least appear to have attained it, and completely. Honestly though, even doctors get sick.

I may disappoint some folks here, and may even lose a few friends, but I wasn't then, and I'm not now the super spiritual man of God I appeared to be. Not that I didn't and don't love, seek and study Him. I do. But I'll confess to you just as I did to the folks in Arkansas: My hair was styled. My suit was pressed. My tie was straight. My shirt was starched. But inside my shiny leather shoe, where you couldn't see it and a professional would be forced to hide it, was a hole. My sock had a hole in it. Had I taken off my shoe you could've seen it, but the whole look would've been ruined. People don't admire and often disregard the better parts when they can see the flaw. And that's too bad, 'cause we have a lot of not-so-perfect people out there singing and preaching it who, for the sake of success, can't admit it. They dare not take off their shoes. Politicians too.

I'm not all bad, but I'll tell you that my list up top is pretty abbreviated. Sometimes I'm selfish. I drink too much coffee and don't always eat right. I cheat on the treadmill when my trainer isn't looking. This past Sunday I cut off an old guy who was moving way too slow. I ran a red light just yesterday and I ate a grape long after I dropped it. You can ask, but I don't plan to get much more personal than that. Except to say that sometimes I lie when people ask me how old I am.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always found perfect people to be boring and not the best singers. It takes life and all the rough spots along the way to polish that gem. You shine brightly in spite of the hole in your sock. Ron

Anonymous said...

I'm shocked and disillusioned.

However, if it makes you feel any better, I personally know a gospel singer that has performed with duct tape holding his hem up and the sleeves raggedly cut off the shirt under his suit jacket. Also? Commando.

Talk about "for real."

(P.S. Thanks for stopping by the blog!)

Jackie said...

There is only one perfect person and He is in heaven with His Father. It is refreshing to know that you are not perfect--just like me. Thank God we have friends who love us just like we are and I do! Jackie

Carla Bristol, Tn. said...

I just love you, your honesty and your refreshing approach to "real" life. All I have to do is check your blog to produce a smile or laugh that is sometimes long overdue. Thank you for taking time to share your world and make mine a little more sunshiny. I look forward to the next......

Cabot Promotions said...

Kenny...I know you are not perfect, neither am I. I still love you as a son and you are welcome back to Arkansas anytime.

Rod Burton said...

There are so many reasons I respect, admire and just generally like you...you've listed a few here. :) I think I have the matching pair to your hole-y socks.

:)

Brandon Jones said...

That lying about your age thing is about to become an even bigger lie... In case I don't have a chance to say it next week, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!