3.05.2009

ken 'n shirl

I'll bet the young Kenneth Bishop and the younger Shirley Richardson had no idea back in 1964 that life would be so excitingly dull and slow in a fast-paced sort of way. I've not asked them what their dreams or aspirations were when they agreed to marry and stick together, but their upbringing made for tempered goals I'm sure. It certainly affected their modest wedding. They got married at the preacher's house. I hear they had to shush the kids more than a few times (those PKs!!), and if there was rice it was probably on the stove.

Dad and Mom have done well for themselves. They live comfortably and in fairly good health. Their kids and grand kids know how to get to their house, and other than an occasional ice storm or church incident, things are working well. I'm proud of my folks. They're models of temperance and honesty. They have what they do because they've worked for it - Dad outside of the home, and Mom holding down the fort.

They'll quietly celebrate their anniversary today. No big deal, no cake or streamers. That's just who they are, and I love 'em for it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwww...45 years! Thanks for this entry, Kenny. Please forward my best wishes to your parents...they don't know me, but I am still their friend. Your friend, too...Brenda Kasten

Anonymous said...

I love the stories about your family! Those are the comforting ones to read!

Rachel Ellis said...

I'm only a few days late reading your blog. Please give Kenneth & Shirley our belated best wishes for many years of happiness together. And a belated "Happy Birthday" goes to Shirley. We don't get to see you often (like we used to) but we keep up with you, and pray for you every day. That's what friends do for each other. We've loved you from the first time we met you....Kenny & Rachel (Linda too)