8.29.2008

dnc 3

That was a big ol' place where Senator Barack Obama talked last night. History was probably made on at least a few levels I think. I doubt that a candidate has ever accepted his party's nomination for president live in front of so many people. I doubt that so many people have ever had to be so intensely magnetronned, wanded, secured and frisked before - at least here in our country. And of course, for the first time ever, a major political party has nominated an African-American as its candidate. I'm proud of what we've accomplished in that regard. The fireworks were appropriate I think.

I sorta got annoyed at all of the uber-conservatives and talk-too-muches who spent a whole day making an issue of the staging at the stadium. Of all the substantive issues to take on, they snipped at the columns and the flooring the man would stand on. I'm all about discussing platforms, but the one the party adopts matters most to me.

I didn't get to see the doings live. I was occupied with other things and had to watch it later. Not sure why, but it was sort of deflating knowing that I wasn't witnessing things as they were happening. I made it a point to not read the spin or the punditry before I listened for myself. I prefer to be my own filter when it comes to politics. Mainly because I haven't found anyone else who has my eclectic point of political view.

About the speech, I'm always impressed when I hear Barack Obama speak. He is inspiring and motivating. He causes me to think not only about what I think, but why I think what I think. He inspires me to examine some of the things I've said I believe in. I'm not saying I've changed my mind on much of anything, but it's always good to know what your foundation is. I know people who are Republican or Democrat and can't even tell you why, other than that they didn't know there was a choice. "Daddy said we're poor so we must be Democrats." "The preacher said Jesus was a Republican."

Senator Obama said some really good things. At times I nodded and agreed and even applauded his ideas. I loved it when he took that candidate stance with the proper and deliberate trigger words. Then he started quoting Scripture and went into his "preacher cadence." I was imagining the "amens!" and the "that's rights!" from the faithful. But even as the politician I thought he offered something for the millions who live week-to-week fearing a simple illness. Then there are those of us who worry about another military attack. I get conflicted.

It was a big event for sure. In politics everything is choreographed to the smallest detail. The proportion of confetti; the color of the fireworks; the song that immediately follows the strategically delivered last line of the speech; the timing of the family, then the running mate on the stage; the waves and who stands where. I thought it was cute that the whole Obama family wardrobe was color coordinated. Someone was clever.

I get lots of inquiries from folks who want to know my thoughts on politics in general and the presidential race in particular. I'm gonna give the Republicans a chance to talk next week. Then I'll open the floor for questions.

No comments: