3.29.2008

feeding people

I sang last night in Campton, Kentucky. I remember being there years ago when our family first started singing. We sang in a really small church that was packed as tight as possible. The church I sang in last night brought those memories back.

The occasion for the event was a food bank that distributes food to hundreds of families in that area of the state. There is too much poverty in the region, and some folks won't eat at all if this supply is not kept up. I felt the need very worthy of the effort.

When I was singing professionally it wasn't always easy to do things like this. As much as we wanted to, and as much as it really, really did hurt us to have to say no from time to time, it was impossible for the Bishops to sing for every charity and do every fundraiser that was requested of us. There were often contractual elements that prevented it. More often than not, it was just a matter of available time. We could've sung every day and night of the month if we'd accepted every invitation to sing at some sort of benefit.

These days I'm in a better position to help when I can. Not depending on the music to make ends meet, I'm able to say yes to very worthy charities that many professional singers cannot. The pros are not bad people. They are not greedy. They are not "just in it for the money." They are wise keepers of their gifts and sensitive members of their families. They are using Godly judgement.

Everyone I know who makes music for a living is always more than willing to do what they can to help when they can. They are always ready to help those in need. But their first obligation is to feed their own families. And when it comes to others, they love feeding people.

No comments: