2.05.2009

too much doggone pessimism

I've always thought I'd hate to be one of those people that others hate to see coming. I don't want to be a downer or a conversation hog or a gossip or a cynic - especially a cynic. These days though, with more news channels than we need, access to truth-mingled-with-rumors online and the opportunity to comment, blog and twitter, it seems that many of us have gotten very comfortable with our cynicism, and expressing it.

At the risk of sounding cynical here, I'm finding myself more and more disappointed in people, average and powerful, all the time. Full disclosure here, I'm often just as aggravated with myself as I am everyone else. So I don't exclude myself when I say, "Get a grip, man and consider the other guy when you spout something supremely arrogant and judgemental. Blogworld anonymity is no license."

When today's news reports that you and I gave hundreds of billions to banks and others, then tomorrow we learn that they remodeled the place and partied with it, we get cynical. When big time executives arrive in private jets then ask for money for private jets - and cars, we get cynical. When private corporate millionaires are bonused handsomely with public bailout dollars, we get cynical. When politicians wag their fingers at the guilty indulgers on their way out the door to a swanky retreat courtesy of us, we get cynical. When we pay our taxes to keep the elected employed, then find out we voted for tax frauds, we get cynical. When a man who is paid to shape a lawmaker's vote seals the deal with dollars and drinks, we get cynical. When the words of the preacher don't match his ways, then he gets caught and says it's not his fault, we get cynical. When all we hear from the big time news is that the economy is spiraling, the earth is warming, the government is corrupt and crime is abounding, we get cynical. If that's all there is to the world we live in today there's no reason we shouldn't be cynical.

Ever hear of Whitaker Bank? Their HQ is right here in Kentucky. I don't know for sure, but even if they've taken a hard economic hit, I don't recall that they jetted to DC and asked for the feds to bail them out. There are hundreds, probably thousands of smaller, more regional banks like Whitaker all across the country. They've chosen to tighten their belts and keep their integrity. Home grown corporate responsibility; That's a good reason to be optimistic.

I had to buy a new car last year. Even though the guy at the lot was the consumate car salesman, I signed the papers 'cause he said he owned the same model. I asked him to show me and sure enough we resemble. A car guy I can trust; That's a good reason to be optimistic.

When the top execs at Goldman Sachs forsook their expected bonuses, and when UBS decided to be extra responsible and put theirs on a living wage as opposed to an indulgent one. I was impressed. Big time corporate responsibility; That's a good reason to be optimistic.

Of the 535 federal legislators who make the laws in Washington, DC, only a tiny handful are in the habit of breaking and abusing them. Those are the ones who make the news. Of the 55 governors who lead our states, the ones in trouble are not the norm. That's a good reason to be optimistic.

Abramoff is not the typical lobbyist. There may be enough seedy ones to create a slight odor, but often it is the professional who bends important ears who serves as the only voice for a crucial or critical cause. Some of my closest and very best friends are lobbyists with a conscience who do their business with integrity and class. You'd appreciate their skills, expertise and knowledge if they spoke on your behalf. Most lobbyists are honest, hard working people. That's a good reason to be optimistic.

How many preachers can you name? Chances are, if you know very many at all they are/were either meaningful to you or you are familiar with their scandal. I have no idea how many ordained ministers there are in the world, nine digits worth at least. Most of them don't fly personal planes, live in scattered mansions, draw crowds in the thousands or sell books by the millions. I congratulate those that do if they do it honestly and give generously. I applaud all the rest for simply doing, sometimes without. They're not all Haggards and Swaggarts. That's a good reason to be optimistic.

Times are tough, but times have been tougher. The globe is in flux but it has been before. Some summers are hotter, some winters are colder. Mr. Gore is a journalist, a politician and a much awarded but amateur environmentalist. His dire messages of doom are based on inconclusive and often disproved science. His accolades come from Hollywood; That's a good reason to be optimistic.

The simple solution, I think, to living more cynic-free is to be informed but not consumed. Turn off the talk and turn on the music. Spend a day without the noise, the arguing and the non-stop depression of CNN, FOX and all the others. Scan the newspaper, but give a good book plenty of time. Even if it's small, enjoy what you do have instead of pining for what you don't.

*When I'm worried and I can't sleep, I count my blessings instead of sheep, and I fall asleep counting my blessings.

When my bankroll is getting small, I think of when I had none at all, then I fall asleep counting my blessings

So, when you're worried and you can't sleep, just count your blessings instead of sheep. Then you'll fall asleep counting your blessings.

*Written by Irving Berlin - performed by Rosemary Clooney & Bing Crosby

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I quote you?

"Get a grip, man and consider the other guy when you spout something supremely arrogant and judgemental. Blogworld anonymity is no license."

Anonymous said...

oh good grief!! the blog made me smile.......blog on kb, blog on!

Kelly B said...

Kenny, I think you are my long lost brother. All the like-mindedness, and then you quote my favorite version of one of my favorite songs. Keep on!