10.21.2005

blind loyalty

It's just a truck. And the only reason I'm even driving it is because mine is on the fritz. I have a weekend full of stuff going on that takes me from Lexington to Alexandria, Indiana to Detroit and back, and I had to have something reliable to drive. The car rental folks didn't have the smaller car I'd reserved, (gas prices and all) so they upgraded me to a nice big Dodge Ram truck (so much for the gas idea). That's when I became aware of what seems to be the battle of the big trucks.

Evidently the folks who drive the big Dodges, Chevrolets, GMCs and Fords are all in direct competition with each other. There must be some features and traits that make a person want one truck over another, but from what I've learned these last couple of days, it seems to be more of a pride thing than anything else. It didn't take me long to learn either. I hadn't been behind the wheel but just a few minutes when I got the thumbs up from a fellow Ram tough driver and a couple of direct challenges and snarls from some non-Dodge men in their own non-Dodge trucks. I couldn't tell you the differences in them myself. So I wasn't even aware of what was going on at first.

Labels. They make for great marketing. People will pay a lot more for their favorite logo, and pledge allegiance to their brand of choice many times simply because it is the popular thing to do. Younger folks need to be seen in the right clothes to be accepted by certain groups. Their jeans, shorts, shirts, shoes and even their underwear has to have the hip logo somewhere in view, or they just won't fit in. Any business executive who wants to appear successful has to flash the proper signature or their credentials could be called into question. Look at their briefcases, sunglasses, luggage, suits, shoes and ties for proof. I've talked to enough of them to know how important this is to them and their image.

If it isn't pride that causes us to choose one brand over another, it's probably our loyalty to heritage that does. I know life long Republicans and Democrats who are what they are just because their family always has been. Party platforms aside, they will find a good reason to be loyal even if they don't believe it themselves. I wait with a great sense of longing for a time that most likely will not come when allegiance to principle will mean more than the proper name of the political group. Sometimes even when they agree on an issue, the leaders of our government can't say it publicly for fear of supporting an opposing party's initiative. If we all hope to achieve the same thing, working together would be a great way to do it.

We do it in church too. There are a lot of political parties in our country. There are a million times as many different types of churches. How many times have you been to a gathering of Christians to hear someone get up and ask how many Baptists or Methodists or Pentecostals are in the house? We label ourselves. I understand that we have to call all of the varieties of belief something. But I actually know some who feel their denomination is superior to the others. Most don't feel they are exclusive, but some actually do. And some wear their denominational affiliation like a teenage preppy does their branded clothes. If we all hope to achieve the same thing, working together would be a great way to do it.

Loyalty is admirable. I am loyal to a lot of things and people. Some folks may feel my loyalties are valid, and some may not. But I hope my allegiance will not be a barrier to anyone. And I certainly don't want them to be cause to challenge the guy driving the other brand of truck when I don't even know why he's driving it.

No comments: