9.17.2005

a very proud brother

Did you hear the news? Most of you know that I recently signed a recording agreement with Daywind Records. I'm thrilled about that, but that's not the news. I told you that to set up the scenario.

This past Thursday night I was sitting with a passel full of Daywind Records folks watching the Singing News Fan Awards show at the National Quartet Convention. These folks are loyal to their artists. Now that I am one, I can say that they treat us well. So, I sorta felt like the visiting fan sitting among the home team faithful when the nominees for favorite soloist were read and the winner was announced.

Dr. Jerry Goff: "And the winner of the 2005 Singing News Fan Award for favorite soloist is... - pause for effect, or opening the envelope or reading a novel (it seemed like I was under water looking for air until he finally said) MARK BISHOP!" I coulda swore the earth stopped spinning. What a moment! The earth might've stopped on its axis, but I didn't. I had an old fashioned Pentecostal shoutin' spell right there in front of my whole new record company. I'm surprised they didn't go into executive session to renegotiate my deal.

I think the last time I was as proud was when my then nine year old son Christian was playing on a twelve year old little league baseball team and the coach called him in from the outfield to finish pitching a game. We still lost, but the whole team rushed the mound when it was finally over and carried his tiny frame off the field on their shoulders. Or the time my daughter Casie made her debut as one of the Gaither Homecoming Kids, singing and dancing her way into the hearts and homes of millions via video and CD. These were some of the single proudest moments of my life. And now I have this new one to look back on. The fact that MY BROTHER was the only soloist to perform alone on that big center stage all week long did a lot for me too.

*NOTE TO EVERYONE WHOSE NUMBER IS STORED IN MY CELL PHONE - The frantic and incoherent call you received around seven o'clock this past Thursday night was me having a very spiritual moment. Thanks for not calling the police.

No comments: