12.25.2005

happy birthday grace!

I love the music. I love the commercials. I love the specials on TV. I love the lights, the ribbons, the holly, the poinsettias, the ornaments and the candy canes. I love the cider and the cookies. I love the gifts, the giving and the shopping. I love the feeling and the opportunities to serve. I just love this time of year. I love everything Christmas!

I don't usually join the chorus when I hear well-meaning believers complain that our society has conspired to rob us of the true meaning of Christmas. I actually see it the other way around. Without even realizing they've done it; our society, its commerce and government has acknowledged the most world-changing event in the history of AD.

I'm sure it wasn't their intent, but millions of shoppers got up early and thousands of stores opened their doors because a savior was born. Businesses stake their survival on it, and families plan reunions around it. Government, commerce, banks and post offices take the day off regardless of their religious beliefs - on Christmas day.

It was a mark in the history of the world that will forever be celebrated. Whether we gather around a nativity, a tree or both, we all declare that our lives are better and worth living because of the events of that otherwise normal day. But oh, what a day it was when grace was born.

No comments: