11.12.2005

read john fischer

I've just finished reading John Fischer's book 12 Steps for the Recovering Pharisee (like me) for the third time. I can't seem to put it down. I expect I'll read it again just as soon as I finish reading another of his books Love Him in the Morning.

I knew who John Fischer was before reading these books, but I didn't really know who he WAS until I started looking for his materials and keeping up with his writings. I'd read a couple of his pieces in CCM magazine and other publications, but this 12 Steps... book has really turned me on to his way of thinking and responding to grace. You've gotta get it and maybe even be like me and read it more than once. Every time I reread a chapter (he calls them steps) I get the wow! of a first time read.

From Step 7: (Bible reference 1 Corinthians 15:9-10)
More of God, more awareness of sin. The more I see of God, the more I am aware of that in me that is not of God. That's why Paul's statement here is in the present tense: "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners - of whom I am the worst." Paul experiences a continual awareness of his sin nature. I would want to say I was the worst of sinners... but not Paul. The reality of his sin was as current and fresh as the reality of God's grace. Paul knew that he couldn't really know God's grace without knowing his sin and how little he deserved what he was receiving. Deserve it, and it is no longer grace.

Is that powerful or what!

John has several other books that I am anxious to get hold of. His newest is called Confessions of a Caffeinated Christian. That's the next book on my list. When you get a chance, take the time to visit the Fischtank at
www.fischtank.com. You'll be able to spend hours reading John's previous periodical writings, going through the lyrics of his many songs, and get an idea of why God is using him to open lots of eyes and expose us to our own sense of religious pride - the kind that has kept many good hearted believers safe in their pews and out of the dangerous places.

No comments: