6.14.2008

wv - going and coming

It could be dangerous for me to be sharing with you right now. Maybe a disclaimer saying something like, "Due to a lack of practical or sufficient rest, I shall not be held liable for any stupid or irrational claims or statements." It's not terribly unusual for me to get just a few hours of sleep from time to time, but for some reason I'm taking it a little harder this morning.

I sang in West Virginia last night. Gary Damron always works really hard to put on good programs there. The Coal Field Jamboree is a wonderful old theater in downtown Logan. My family and I sang there several times over the years. I have lots of memories in that place. My job last night was singing a few and serving as emcee. I enjoy that role. It gives me a chance to brag on some of my friends. Among other groups, last night I got to introduce Karen Peck and New River. Of course I had lots of good stuff to say when I brought them on. My favorite thing though about working a night with them in particular, is the conversation we enjoy back stage. I don't think I've ever spent more than a few minutes with Karen and Susan and Ricky and now Devin that we don't end up sharing some the lessons and points that God is teaching us. It usually turns to thanksgiving and worship. It's our little moment before we step into the lights.

Logan is about four hours from Lexington, and the drive is just beautiful, especially on a day like yesterday. Lots of sun, very little road construction, not a single accident to be seen, and a generous supply of peanut M&Ms. I can tolerate those conditions for half a work day. But that was the drive over.

Then I had to drive back. No sun. Still no construction, but two accidents to report. I also did a pretty poor job of rationing my candy on the way into the mountains. My self determination and discipline wouldn't allow me to indulge in another bag. The nine hour (it just seemed like it) drive back wasn't as delightful. Every time I'd see a blue sign advertising a rest area I'd say (yes, actually say out loud to no one but me), "I need to just stop and take a nap." Then I'd say to myself, "No, you'll sleep so much better in your own bed and you won't have to wake up later and drive." At this point I couldn't tell which voice was wearing the halo and which one had horns.

I did end up driving all the way home. I walked in the door around 4:00 this morning. I didn't plan to get up so early today though. The phone calls and text messages started around 7:00, so why not? Might as well get started. I have friends coming in from out of town tonight, and the house hasn't had a good, deep cleaning in at least three weeks. I'll do that today. I don't enjoy doing it, but when it's over I'm always glad I did. Sorta like the drive home last night.

No comments: