6.07.2008

not today, at least not yet

Yesterday was so inspiring. I woke up early with lots of enthusiasm for getting things done. The day ended up being pretty productive. I'm not doing as well today.

I was supposed to sell all of my unneeded worldly goods in a yard sale today. Some friends across town are having one with all of their neighbors. It's their annual community come-and-get-it-yard-sale-weekend. I was asked to bring my stuff and join them.

So I got up into the attic yesterday and rifled through a couple of dozen boxes. I found all kinds of neat stuff, most of it that I'd forgotten about. I've not really lived here long enough for anything to be a too distant memory, but I did run across a few things that brought back some sweet feelings. It's hard to let things go when your emotions are attached to them. But packing them away in the attic is no way to treat them either. Besides, I need the room and the cash.

So, after spending a couple of hours getting it all down, it occurred to me around one o'clock this morning that if I'm gonna get this stuff cleaned up and properly priced I'm going to have to stay up all night long. The official start time was 6:30 IN THE MORNING! Time was running out. I started asking God for rain. Surely they had a rain date. Maybe a week's worth of delay will give me the time I need. I finally gave up around 2:30 this morning.

No luck on the rain. It was a selfish thought anyway. But I've decided to wait still. My mom and some of my sisters-in-law are going to have a yard sale of their own in a week or two. I'll pack my goods in the truck and make like Mr. Haney then.

Since I begged off on the sale this morning, I decided to try to get in some writing. I've been feeling inspired lately, and that is the best time to put the pen to work. So I took my stuff back down to the lake for a little quiet writing time. Strike two.

While I was down at the dock a neighbor came by to chat. I told him I was working on some songs and came to the water for inspiration. It usually works. The breeze, the ripple of the waves, the ducks and geese, the sun... I didn't feel it today though. I was telling him how lots of song writers can sit in a writing room and know just the right thing to put on the paper. I've done it that way, but I always feel it more natural in a place like this. I'm not sure why I wasn't feeling it today, but I'm not going to push it. The message is too sacred.

Since my son Christian is hanging with me this weekend we're gonna do something fun. We may go to the park to walk. Well, I'll walk while he rides the bike. We'll throw the baseball, maybe shoot some hoops, toss the Frisbee, see a movie later. Who knows...

No comments: